Kimberley partnered with SCOPE through the East Kootenay Division of Family Practice and A GP For Me. With support from SCOPE, the Kimberley family physicians are working with key community stakeholders to lead a Healthy Kimberley project, which focuses on promoting health and wellness in the community by making the healthy choice the easy choice for all residents.
Healthy Kimberley includes activities that broadly target the Kimberley community, as well as activities that specifically target children and youth (especially low-income or otherwise vulnerable) and seniors (especially low-income and/or isolated seniors). Healthy Kimberley is working to build awareness of the existing assets/resources in the community, enhance collaboration, and assist in breaking down barriers to participation.
Sharing & Supporting Live 5-2-1-0
Using the Live 5-2-1-0 message as a foundation, several steps have been taken in Kimberley to support the community in living healthier. Recently, Kimberley ran the “Healthy Kimberley Community Challenge” encouraging all residents to Live 5-2-1-0 from October 5th to November 30th, 2015. It was a great success, and was even highlighted in the Kimberley Daily Bulletin.
Here are just a few other examples of how Live 5-2-1-0 is being shared and supported in Kimberley:
- The Live 5-2-1-0 Family Physician Toolkit has been adapted and piloted in Kimberley. The Live 5-2-1-0 message is being shared at the Kimberley Medical Clinic through resources like posters and fact sheets, and doctors are using a host of tools to support families in Living 5-2-1-0.
- A health and wellness networking event was hosted by Healthy Kimberley, bringing together professionals and services providers in the field.
- A community stakeholder networking event was held to gain community input.
- A Healthy Kimberley Community celebration took place, promoting Live 5-2-1-0 and healthy living in the community.
- Further partnerships with community organizations, businesses, media, schools, and early childhood facilities will assist in spreading the Live 5-2-1-0 message throughout the community and building engagement.
For the latest information on Live 5-2-1-0 in Kimberley visit the Healthy Kimberley Facebook Page, or contact Jenny White at email@example.com.