The Future Lives Here
Surrey is the fastest growing city in BC with one of the most diverse populations. To support all of its residents to live healthy, active lives Surrey’s Chronic Disease Working Group (a subcommittee of the Healthier Communities Partnership table) works to address influencing factors at the individual and community level. The Working Group is a collection of local partners including Fraser Health, the City of Surrey, the YMCA, United Way, TeamPlay Consulting, SFU, the Surrey School District, the Surrey-North Delta Division of Family Practice, and SUCCESS.
In 2016, the Working Group partnered with SCOPE to prioritize childhood health promotion using Live 5-2-1-0’s all-of-community approach. Since then, efforts have been directed at increasing awareness of the message and supportive approach through presentations to early childhood educators, school coordinators, recreation staff, and other key stakeholders who regularly interact with children and families. Recently, the Working Group also hosted a Live 5-2-1-0 training workshop which was attended by over sixty individuals coming from a broad variety of sectors and backgrounds.
Sharing & Supporting Live 5-2-1-0
Using Live 5-2-1-0 as a health promotion framework, Surrey has made great strides in creating environments that support kids to eat well and be active every day. Here are just a few examples of how Live 5-2-1-0 is being shared and supported:
- Presentation to coordinators of the Community Schools Partnership Program on the Live 5-2-1-0 guidelines and resources available to share with students and families.
- Training for United Way’s Health Promotion Peer Ambassadors who help parents with young kids learn about healthy eating, physical activity, and other choices to promote healthy habits.
- Two Surrey schools participated in the Doctors of BC 2016 Be Active Every Day challenge, encouraging kids to live an active, healthy lifestyle.
- Live 5-2-1-0 information and resources shared with Early Childhood
- Educators and MYzone staff to incorporate into their settings.
- Live 5-2-1-0 Training Workshop for community partners to learn about Live 5-2-1-0 and to identify opportunities to make changes to their practices, policies, and environments so the healthy choice is the easy choice.
- Eleven Live 5-2-1-0 Playboxes have been installed in Surrey parks
For more information visit Surrey’s website or contact Erin Balmer, Community Services Coordinator, at EMBalmer@surrey.ca.