Businesses are an integral part of a community and have an influential role in the choices that are available to the local residents who are their customers and employees.
The choices, products, information and opportunities that businesses offer can shape the daily choices that local residents are able to make. Businesses have a unique opportunity to raise awareness of Live 5-2-1-0, and to help create an environment that supports families to live healthy and active lives. By being a Live 5-2-1-0 supporter, businesses demonstrate to their customers, employees, and community partners, their commitment to investing in shared priorities with the broader community.
What can the business sector do?
- Share the Live 5-2-1-0 message in your business (e.g. display Live 5-2-1-0 posters, banners, fact sheets, weekly tips poster)
- Share Live 5-2-1-0 information and resources as part of your company’s wellness program
- Support local Live 5-2-1-0 initiatives by providing monetary or in-kind assistance (e.g. printing promotional materials, providing equipment for Playboxes)
- Support Live 5-2-1-0 by hosting family-friendly employee events that promote healthy eating and physical activity (e.g. Christmas skating party, healthy food and drink options)
- Support healthy policies in the workplace and in the community (e.g incentives/rebates for physical activity programs, removing unhealthy choices from vending machines)
How are partners in the business sector using Live 5-2-1-0 resources?
The following is a list of examples of how different communities have used the Live 5-2-1-0 resources they have downloaded from this website:
How are businesses supporting Live 5-2-1-0?
The following is a list of examples of how stakeholders in different communities have implemented action in their sector to support Live 5-2-1-0:
- The Live 5-2-1-0 Central Team collaborated with our partners in Kimberley for a pilot project that introduced grocery cart dividers and signs to a local market to ‘nudge’ shoppers to purchase more vegetables and fruits. These environmental nudges successfully led to an increase in produce spending – view our infographic for more details on the grocery store nudge intervention in Kimberley.
- McNab’s Corn Maze & Produce Farm, located just outside Nanaimo, made Live 5-2-1-0 the theme of their annual corn maze. The message was included in their promotional materials, on their website, and on a roadside billboard. They also integrated the message into the corn maze itself by creating a scavenger hunt activity where kids were encouraged to find the 5-2-1-0 stations hidden inside.