From kindergarten through to high school, kids and youth spend the majority of their day at school. Aside from learning the alphabet and arithmetic – they are learning how to make daily choices, and what it means to live a healthy life.
Schools have unique opportunities to educate students about healthy behaviours and promote them in ways that make them fun and memorable. Every community is different, and schools will have unique systems, resources and cultures. However, all schools share the responsibility to make their environments healthier for children, and to help children make healthier choices as they grow.
What can the school sector do?
- Display the Live 5-2-1-0 message in classrooms, hallways, and around the school (e.g. Live 5-2-1-0 Posters, Banners, Weekly Tips)
- Distribute Live 5-2-1-0 resources to students, families and staff (e.g. Live 5-2-1-0 Fact Sheets, Outdoor Games Booklet)
- Include the Live 5-2-1-0 guidelines and tips in the school newsletter
- Share the message with students at school assemblies and with parents through Parent Advisory Committee meetings and parent information nights
- Use the Live 5-2-1-0 guidelines (and for older students, the approach of examining factors that influence their habits and choices) to support delivery of the Physical and Health Education Curriculum
- Encourage students and staff to use active transportation to and from school (e.g. provide sufficient bike racks, coordinate walking school buses)
- Review and improve school policies and environments, such as availability of water fountains/water-bottle filling stations, vending machine items, cafeteria nutrition policies, and policies for healthy food and drinks during school events such as sports days or fundraisers
How are partners in the school sector using Live 5-2-1-0 resources?
The following is a list of examples of how different communities have used the Live 5-2-1-0 resources they have downloaded from this website:
How is the school sector supporting Live 5-2-1-0?
The following is a list of examples of how stakeholders in different communities have implemented action in their sector to support Live 5-2-1-0:
- Abbotsford shared posters and fact sheets with their elementary schools; they also introduced Live 5-2-1-0 to students by incorporating the message into the back cover and bookmarks in all elementary students’ agendas.
- Elementary schools in Hope and Abbotsford promoted the ‘0 sugary drinks’ guideline through the implementation of school-wide month-long Healthy Drinks challenges in their elementary schools to encourage students to drink more water.
- Live 5-2-1-0 messaging was integrated into Maple Ridge’s ‘Welcome to Kindergarten’ initiative through resource hand-outs and Live 5-2-1-0 merchandise that were distributed to families for free.
- After-school programs in Surrey have incorporated elements of Live 5-2-1-0 into their programming, including 60 minutes of outdoor play and replacing unhealthy snacks with fruits, vegetables and other healthier options.