About Live 5-2-1-0
Live 5-2-1-0 is an initiative of BC Children’s Hospital that partners with communities across BC to promote and support healthy behaviours among children.
We know that hearing a consistent message supported by a healthy community environment is important. By bringing community stakeholders together, Live 5-2-1-0 helps build partnerships and opportunities to create healthy environments where kids can eat well and be active where they live, learn, and play.
How can Live 5-2-1-0 help communities to work together?
- Promoting a shared, consistent message across a community engages stakeholders in every sector.
- Providing clear goals for kids and families to live healthy every day, AND a framework of action for local community leaders to make changes to their programs, policies, and environments so that it is easier for kids to achieve these goals.
- Offering a common, over-arching message that ties local efforts together across the community. Kids see a consistent message everywhere they go, and community partners are part of a collaborative effort.
Live 5-2-1-0 Message
Live 5-2-1-0 provides four simple guidelines to help kids make healthy choices every day. Learn more about where the message came from, and why it can be useful to help families adopt healthy habits.
Evidence shows that in order for health promotion and chronic disease prevention for children to be effective, all sectors of a community need to work together. Learn how to get your whole community involved in Live 5-2-1-0!
Live 5-2-1-0 doesn’t replace other local efforts and programs – it provides a common, over-arching message that helps to tie them together across the community. Here are a few examples of great programs and resources from other organizations that can support kids to Live 5-2-1-0 every day:
- BC School Fruit and Vegetable Nutrition Program
- Farm to School BC
- Canada’s Food Guide
- Screen Smart Schools
- Shapedown BC
- Generation Health
- HealthLink BC Eating & Activity Program for Kids
- Canadian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines for Children and Youth
- Sip Smart! BC
- Doctor’s of BC’s Be Active Every Day annual initiative
- Learning for Life