The City of Maple Ridge partnered with SCOPE in 2014 through Parks and Recreation Services. Shortly thereafter in collaboration with the School District, they developed and piloted a noon-hour program for elementary schools featuring Live 5-2-1-0, physical literacy and Play It Fair content. The program was so well received a second round of pilot testing is currently underway.
Sharing & Supporting Live 5-2-1-0
Live 5-2-1-0 has provided a platform for local partners to implement practice, policy, and environmental change in support of healthy behaviours. Here are just a few examples of how Live 5-2-1-0 is being shared and supported in Maple Ridge:
- Live 5-2-1-0 message shared by Parks and Recreation in their leisure guide, on their website, and within the recreation centre
- Created a Live 5-2-1-0-themed Fortune Teller of Fun that was included in their leisure guide
- Training on Live 5-2-1-0 provided to all frontline recreation staff
- Live 5-2-1-0 Playboxes in Memorial Peace Park and in Maple Ridge Park, and a 3rd Playbox will be installed in 2018
- Play Nights in the Park for families held during the summer months
- Parks & Rec host a booth at community events with a focus on physical literacy (ex. children participate in an obstacle course)
- Live 5-2-1-0 lanyards worn by recreation and office staff to promote the message
- Live 5-2-1-0 posters distributed to all elementary schools in the region
- Live 5-2-1-0 magnets distributed at community events and through the Playboxes
- Live 5-2-1-0 messaging including as part of the “Welcome to Kindergarten” initiative
- Ready-Set-Learn program adapted Live 5-2-1-0 components.
- In partnership with ACT (arts centre), incorporated physical activity in afternoon portion of kids fusion camps
If you would like more information on the Live 5-2-1-0 initiative in Maple Ridge, or would like to become involved, contact Jen Baillie, Children’s Programmer, at email@example.com