Are you interested in helping your family make healthier choices? That’s great!
Advice on proper nutrition, physical activity, and screen time can be confusing and overwhelming at times. Live 5-2-1-0 simplifies this information into four guidelines that are easy to remember and provide clear goals for children and families to works towards every day.
What can your family do?
- Take the Live 5-2-1-0 Pledge and support and encourage each other to make healthy choices every day
- Develop a family screen time plan (i.e. time limits for each family member, agree on acceptable content, determine scree free zones in the home (e.g bedrooms, dining table), etc.)
- Prepare meals together as a family
- Reserve sugary drinks for special occasions and make water and plain milk your family’s drink of choice
- Play outside together – visit a park, beach, playground, or Live 5-2-1-0 Playbox!
How are families using Live 5-2-1-0 resources?
The following is a list of examples of how different communities have used the Live 5-2-1-0 resources they have downloaded from this website:
- “I will start with my grandchildren, teaching them the simple steps to good health. I also plan to create a toolkit for nurses at [Name] General Hospital and [Community Name] General Hospital to use as a teaching resource for Pediatric inpatients and their parents.” (Vancouver Island community)
- “I plan to use with my children to encourage healthy behaviours.” (Lower Mainland community)
- “I think it is a great idea to get my family on track with screen time. We are already very active, but this is a great tool to follow.” (Interior community)
- “We are setting up an information booth in schools and malls to get the information out to everyone.” (Outside of BC)
- “We are brand new foster parents. Our foster daughter uses screens heavily as a coping method. She also struggles with processed foods. We plan to use the guidelines to help her develop healthier ways to cope in the future.” (Vancouver Island Community)
- “We will be having a Gift of Good food fundraiser to help fund healthy food for families who cannot afford it and healthy snacks in the classroom. Hoping to have these resources available to parents who are interested.” (Vancouver Island community)
- “I am a school counsellor and love these types of resources for parents and students (and also my own teenagers!)” (Interior community)