Healthcare professionals have a unique opportunity to reinforce the importance of healthy habits during interactions with their pediatric patients and their families.
Developing healthy habits early on in childhood is important for maintaining healthy weights and preventing chronic disease, including Type 2 Diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Parents and children place a lot of importance on the recommendations of healthcare providers and Live 5-2-1-0 can help to open the discussion on healthy living habits.
Sharing an evidence-based message and initiative, such as Live 5-2-1-0, can supplement the conversations healthcare providers have with patients and families.
What can the health sector do?
- Distribute Live 5-2-1-0 resources (e.g. 5 Tip Sheet for Families, Live 5-2-1-0 Fact Sheets) to pediatric patients and their families during appointments and in waiting rooms
- Display the Live 5-2-1-0 message in clinics and health centres (e.g. computer screen savers in clinic rooms, Live 5-2-1-0 Weekly Tip Poster in waiting areas)
- Use the Healthy Habits Questionnaire and/or Live 5-2-1-0 message to help engage patients and families in discussion around healthy behaviours (healthy eating, limiting screen time, and physical activity) as part of routine practice at pediatric appointments
- Connect families to resources and services in the community that support them in making healthy choices
- Participate in community events that promote Live 5-2-1-0 and/or support healthy choices (e.g. Doctors of BC Be Active Every Day, Walk with your Doc)
How are healthcare providers using Live 5-2-1-0 resources?
The following is a list of examples of how different communities have used the Live 5-2-1-0 resources they have downloaded from this website:
How are healthcare providers supporting Live 5-2-1-0?
The following is a list of examples of how stakeholders in different communities have implemented action in their sector to support Live 5-2-1-0:
- Healthcare providers in the Fraser Health region share the Live 5-2-1-0 message through posters in doctors’ offices and hospitals, information pamphlets at pre- and post-natal clinics, at one-year vaccination appointments, and during routine visits.
- Chilliwack collaborated with their Division of Family Practice to develop a Family Physician Toolkit that included tips and resources on Live 5-2-1-0 for physicians, who then share that information with the patients and families they see in their clinics.
- Public health nurses involved with Fraser Health’s Healthy Schools Program work with local school districts and individual focus schools to promote wellness and empower children and youth in their health. In addition to distributing Live 5-2-1-0 resources, they also integrate the Live 5-2-1-0 message into their presentations given to students.
- Healthcare providers in some ambulatory clinics at BC Children’s Hospital use Live 5-2-1-0 messaging and resources to support their pediatric patients in managing conditions or recovery following treatment.
- Each year, the Doctors of BC’s annual month-long Be Active Every Day (BAED) event has doctors and residents visiting local elementary schools to challenge students to be active for at least 60 minutes every day. For the past several years, the Live 5-2-1-0 message has been integrated into the BAED event through doctors’ presentations, event materials, and promotional marketing.