Recreation and leisure services provide children with opportunities to try new and fun activities, and to learn information and skills to help make healthy choices every day.
The programs and services offered in recreational settings are well aligned with Live 5-2-1-0. They provide children and families with opportunities to be physically active, participate in a variety of activities, and come together as a healthy, vibrant community. Recreation and community centres can help raise awareness of the Live 5-2-1-0 message and also support these behaviours within their programming and in their setting.
What can the recreation sector do?
- Include the Live 5-2-1-0 message on your website, social media, and seasonal program guides
- Display the Live 5-2-1-0 message around recreation and community centres (e.g. Live 5-2-1-0 Posters, Banners, 52 Weekly Tips)
- Host or help maintain a Live 5-2-1-0 Playbox
- Integrate the Live 5-2-1-0 message into children’s programming
- Offer healthy food and beverage options in vending machines and concessions
- Implement policies around healthy snacks and drinks in children’s program run out of recreation and community centre facilities
How are partners in the recreation sector using Live 5-2-1-0 resources?
The following is a list of examples of how different communities have used the Live 5-2-1-0 resources they have downloaded from this website:
- “Make up packages for each site that runs day camps.” (Lower Mainland community)
- “We will display posters at our recreation centres and will also include in our recreation guide, and e-newsletter space permitting.” (Fraser Valley community)
- “We will be displaying this info on our Discovery Playtime (preschool age) program parent board.” (Lower Mainland community)
- “In our Park Play Program Passport – a summer fun activity booklet for program participants.” (Fraser Valley community)
- “Will be passing these along to our summer camp leaders for some inspiration & incorporation into their camp activity planning. Thank you for the great resources!” (Vancouver Island community)
- “We are running a summer promotion “Pool & Play Pass” for children for $25 this summer to provide more opportunities for children to get active, be involved in “risky play” and increase physical literacy. Pass holders will receive a bi-weekly newsletter with activity suggestions and health promotion topics. We will be using 5-2-1-0 resources as one of our health related topics!” (Lower Mainland community)
How is the recreation sector supporting Live 5-2-1-0?
The following is a list of examples of how stakeholders in different communities have implemented action in their sector to support Live 5-2-1-0:
- Live 5-2-1-0 posters and resources are displayed at recreations centres in the Comox Valley and Maple Ridge. These communities, along with Delta, Hope, Langley, New Westminster and Surrey, include the Live 5-2-1-0 message in their recreation and leisure guides.
- Training on Live 5-2-1-0 is provided to frontline staff working at recreation centres in Delta.
- Maple Ridge’s Parks, Recreation and Culture department have generated a wide range of Live 5-2-1-0 promotional items including reusable water bottles, frisbees, pencil cases, and lanyards which are distributed to families and children at community events. At these events, they also display their Live 5-2-1-0-branded tent and banners, and hold ‘active stations’ where children can learn and practice different fundamental movement skills (FMS).