Recreation and leisure services provide children with opportunities to try new and fun activities, and to learn information and skills to help make healthy choices every day.
The programs and services offered in recreational settings are well aligned with Live 5-2-1-0. They provide children and families with opportunities to be physically active, participate in a variety of activities, and come together as a healthy, vibrant community. Recreation and community centres can help raise awareness of the Live 5-2-1-0 message and also support these behaviours within their programming and in their setting.
What can the recreation sector do?
- Include the Live 5-2-1-0 message on your website, social media, and seasonal program guides
- Display the Live 5-2-1-0 message around recreation and community centres (e.g. Live 5-2-1-0 Posters, Banners, 52 Weekly Tips)
- Host or help maintain a Live 5-2-1-0 Playbox
- Integrate the Live 5-2-1-0 message into children’s programming
- Offer healthy food and beverage options in vending machines and concessions
- Implement policies around healthy snacks and drinks in children’s program run out of recreation and community centre facilities
How are partners in the recreation sector using Live 5-2-1-0 resources?
The following is a list of examples of how different communities have used the Live 5-2-1-0 resources they have downloaded from this website:
How is the recreation sector supporting Live 5-2-1-0?
The following is a list of examples of how stakeholders in different communities have implemented action in their sector to support Live 5-2-1-0:
- Live 5-2-1-0 posters and resources are displayed at recreations centres in the Comox Valley and Maple Ridge. These communities, along with Delta, Hope, Langley, New Westminster and Surrey, include the Live 5-2-1-0 message in their recreation and leisure guides.
- Training on Live 5-2-1-0 is provided to frontline staff working at recreation centres in Delta.
- Maple Ridge’s Parks, Recreation and Culture department have generated a wide range of Live 5-2-1-0 promotional items including reusable water bottles, frisbees, pencil cases, and lanyards which are distributed to families and children at community events. At these events, they also display their Live 5-2-1-0-branded tent and banners, and hold ‘active stations’ where children can learn and practice different fundamental movement skills (FMS).